Sunday, September 18, 2016

WEEK 9

I believe this is the Kambeke branch cleaning up at a medical center for Mormon Helping hands project.





 

Letter to mom

Answering Mom's questions:  Sacrament meeting is supposed to be in English, as that's the official language of the church in Kenya, but many times depending on how well the speakers know English they will talk in Swahili or kamba (the local tribal language)

I baptized Diana in English but I did make an attempt to learn the baptism prayer in Swahili, they wanted it in English though.

Elder Otika is funny, his favorite movies were Pirates of the Caribbean and he quotes them obsessively.He is a decent cook (at least by my standards) and has taught me how to make several different Kenyan dishes. His favorite food is Mutungo (or something) which is Cow intestine, I think its disgusting.
(Mom's comment: So I wonder if he actually tried it!)

Next week we have another baptism! Mutiso (apparently I have been spelling his name wrong) is ready and seems to be excited  for the baptism. The week after that Danielle, our new investigator should be getting baptized.She seems very ready for it as well and as far as we can tell there won't be any issues.

This last week we went to Nairobi for the mission tour.  We had Kevin S. Hamilton of the Quorum of the Seventy speak to us along with President Msane and their wives.

Elder Hamilton is the Area President for southeast Africa and gave a very good talk about Exaltation.
Then we had about 40 minutes or so where he answered questions that we had.

A few points that stood out to me:
-our mission is to bring Exaltation to God's children (Elder Hamilton)

 -God saved us for the last days because he trusts us to be part of his final harvest (Sister Msane)

 -We are suppose to focus our efforts on English speakers, so while learning Swahili is a useful tool that I should work towards, I don't have to stress if it is causing me trouble. (Elder Hamilton) This point really stood out to me especially since when we did the Q and A part of the tour we made a list of topics we would like him to talk about and this was the first thing he chose to speak on.

After the speakers I was privileged to have an interview with President Msane. I really like him and he has been a great help to me