Sunday, August 28, 2016

Week 6

Letter to Mom

 Hey that's awesome that dad gets to be in young mens! (Stake Young Men's first counselor) although I'm sure hes going to miss his old geezers :P (He was High Priest Group Leader)
So my area has 2 branches, Kyambeke and Ilima. Both have small chapels and have a full 3 hours of church on Sunday. We alternate which one we go to every week.

Next week we have a baptism! She is a young girl of 8 or 9 (I don't remember) named Diana Kyuvi, her parents' are members so that's why we are teaching her the lessons and she is very shy. she doesn't speak a lot of English so mostly Elder Otika teaches her. Her sister Aujua is also taking the lessons with her but she doesn't have a baptism date yet.

We also have an investigator named Muteso that started coming to church the week before I came for ome unknown reason. He lives very far away so we cant visit him but he has come to church every week and we teach him there. He is proof that the lord works in mysterious ways. unfortunately he doesn't know english and even his Swahili isn't great, his language is Kamba which is the language that the locals in Kolungu hills speak so we always have a member there to help us teach him in his native tongue.

Otherwise I'm still just walking up and down hills meeting more people that don't know English haha.

I did finish Jesus the Christ yesterday though.  It mentioned something I never noticed before. In Mormon 8:10-11 it mentions that the disciples of the Lord withdrew from the people but they taught Mormon and Moroni.  That is in reference to the 3 Nephites that Jesus promised would live forever.

Tell everyone Hi for me! let me know how Elena and her kids are doing. (Joseph's cousin from Vancouver.)

Video  (Let me know if this doesn't open for you please. )  Try both. I haven't got this figured out yet.  Sorry.

 DSCN0328[1].MOV

 DSCN0328[1].MOV​    DSCN0328[1].MOV




​So here's a short video about a common food in the area called Chopoti!

It is basically a thick tortilla or flat bread.

Its made with Flour, water, and some salt and sugar for flavoring.

So we eyeballed the ingredients so I can't give you measurements but basically you need to make a  relatively thick dough, add a decent amount of sugar and salt, then make balls out of it that sit in the palm of your hand, maybe about 2 golf balls in size. Next roll it out into a tortilla shape similar in size to a small pan but leave it a bit thicker. About 1/3 of an inch thick or so. Put it into a pan and cook it until it starts to form brown spots then put in a spoonful of oil and cook it on both sides.

Serve with whatever, normally the people here just eat them or dip them in there food.Personally I like making tacos out of them.

We also added an egg and cinnamon for better flavor but that's not normal. ha ha.

These are the pictures from last week:

Kolungu Hills

 Blue Caterpillar



Out Joseph's flat back door


 Father to son communication struggles.  Haha :P

Russ : Jumbo Son - actually I'm not sure how it is spelled. But I understand that the term   'jumbo' in Swahili equals a very warm greeting. A very sincere howdy son.

Joseph: Jambo! to you too! (its with an a :P)

Russ:  You have to spell “Jumbo” for me so I know where to put the “P” that you say it has in it.

Joseph: oh I see haha

Its Jambo (pronounced Jam-bo)

I meant that it has an A not a U
You misunderstood my goofyface   :P

Letter to Dad

Thanks for all the great thoughts, they really help me and I look forward to your treat next week.

It is interesting how when Satan gets more influence so does the church. The last days are indeed very polarizing and you can already start to see the ripening of the Field as the Savior prepares to separate the Wheat from the tares.

Also good luck on your new calling!